Check out Kate Frost’s family Lasagne recipe below! 🇮🇹 ⬇️
This is in no way authentic, but it’s our family recipe passed down from my Yorkshire
born grandma, to my mum and then me, although my version might not be exactly the
same as my grandma’s! It’s well-loved by my family.
For the Bolognese
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
3 large carrots, peeled and grated
500g minced beef
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp other herbs
dash of red wine
1tbsp tomato puree
150ml beef stock
For the cheese sauce
100g salted butter
3tbsp plain flour (or keep adding until the melted butter is soaked up)
200g grated Cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Fry the mince in a large lidded frying pan until it begins to brown. Add in the
chopped onion, garlic and grated carrot and sauté for 10 minutes.
2. Add the herbs, bay leaf and salt and pepper to the mince and stir for a minute.
3. Splash in a good dash of red wine, the tomato puree, passata and beef stock.
Bring to the boil, lower the heat and let it simmer with a lid on for 15-20 minutes.
4. While the Bolognese is simmering, melt the butter in a large saucepan. Remove it
from the heat and stir in the flour until the butter is soaked up and you have a
5. Slowly add the milk stirring to make sure there are no lumps. Put the saucepan
back on a high heat and stir continuously until the sauce begins to thicken.
6. Turn off the heat, add 150g of the cheese and stir in until you have a delicious
cheesy sauce! Add salt and pepper to taste.
7. In a large oven proof dish start layering the lasagne. Start with Bolognese, then
lasagne sheets, half of the cheese sauce, then repeat, Bolognese, lasagne sheets,
the rest of the cheese sauce. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top (I
sometimes also use grated mozzarella).
8. Cook in a preheated oven at 180C for 45 minutes. Serve with rocket or a green